Saturday, August 25, 2012

Bright Green Olives

Olives, pepper and cheese
Kroger's olive bar is one of the places where I am pretty willing to ignore my locally-grown convictions and throw down some money.  I love olives, especially ones in oil instead of brine and I have discovered the best olive ever.  I have been avoiding the Kroger Store in favor of a cheaper alternative but this week I went to get some olives and there is a new one.  I didn't pay that much attention to the label, I think it said something about Sicilian.  Anyway, this olive is bright green, it is the one on the right side of the saucer in the photo.  They are AWESOME.  They are crunchier and tastier and even prettier.  It will be a while before I will even bother with the other ones, these were so good.  I hope the store doesn't suddenly decide to stop carrying them.  All you olive lovers in my area, go out and buy some so that they keep supplying them, please.

Purple Hull Pea Vines
I usually buy fresh mozzarella cheese and slice it and marinate it myself.  Especially if I have fresh basil, but I bought some of theirs for a different flavor, and it was good.  But I wish I had bought the whole pound of Sicilian green olives, then I might have some left, but naaah, probably not.  I consumed them muy rapido.

I will be out of town for a bit and will miss my purple hull pea harvest.  This is a sad thing, but one of the neighbors said she will come and pick them and freeze some for me.  I will be very sad if I miss them all.

Sneak turtle after compost additions
There are cucumbers again, and still lots and lots of okra.  There are a few melons left.  The co-gardener didn't get a video camera, but he did buy a fancy light and patrols the garden a couple of times a night, but still no sign of the
melon thief.

The phone or Google+ finally downloaded the picture of the sneaky turtle sampling the discards headed to the compost (see previous post).  You can see the last of the old cucumbers going out.  The new cucumbers are just starting, I've had two or three so far.  Good timing, although it took a couple of tries to get the cukes going.  Lots of basil left and I have some lettuce coming up finally.  Now if the tomatoes will just get going, I will have something to go with my bright green olives.

It has been a rough garden summer, but I am thankful for the chance to have such delicious food.

No comments:

Post a Comment